With only 5 days to go before the start of this year’s Zambezi Man (& Woman) Challenge and 7 days to the Official Victoria Falls Marathon 2011 we hope you have entered!
Today is the last day for electronic/web entries to these races. Should you have missed the deadline, you may enter as follow:
Friday 26 Aug 2011 – Kingdom Hotel, Victoria Falls, 10h00 – 16h00
Saturday 27 Aug 2011 – Kingdom Hotel, Victoria Falls, 09h00 – 18h00
NO ENTRIES on the race morning!
A few updates and NEW things for the event, please advise all your mates etc. to help:
1. Econet and Zambezi Lite, as well as the Organisers, have arranged some great prizes for the VETERANS (eg over 40). These will be for top three male and female in both the full and half events, and will consist of branded gear, beers (!!), airtime and activity vouchers.
2. SCHOOL BOOKS – as per previous years, we are asking runners to please bring up ANYTHING we can give to needy local schools – books / pens / educational posters, old atlases, National Geographics etc. We will have a collection box at registration – anything you can fit within your baggage allowance will be great. Carol White, part of the organising team, who is already working with AIDS orphans in the Falls, will make sure that all you give will get to the right places !!
3. In order to publicise the INTERNATIONAL aspect of this event, a suggestion was made that foreign runners please bring their National Flags – we will put up at the Finish for all to see. You can hand them over to us at registration.
4. We have elected to support the following two charities for the 2011 Vic Falls Marathon: Rose of Charity and Victoria Falls Anti Poaching Unit
If you would like to find out more, or make a donation to either of these, please contact them directly on the below channels. If you want to bring any items to give away – you will be able to leave them at the REGISTRATION DESK at the marathon, on Fri/Sat – Kingdom Hotel. Please clearly mark the package with who it is for, and your details too, so that we can pass on accordingly.
4. This year the organisers of these events, Wild Frontiers, Wild Horizons and Adventure Zone have joined forces with Network of Caring and Alex De Leo in donating 100 wheelchairs to the needy in the Victoria Falls area. The first of the 100 chairs were given by Bruno De Leo to a Victoria Falls resident earlier this month.
The first and second place in the wheelchair categories will also win a wheelchair for personal use.
We are looking forward to a great race this year with new talented runners competing.
See you at the Falls !!
Victoria Falls Marathon Team